Friday, November 15, 2013

Crockpot Dinner: Sweet and Sour Chicken

Tonight we have a bit of an Asian theme going on for dinner. I decided to try making Clinton Kelly's version of sweet and sour chicken in the crockpot, but I had to make some adjustments to the recipe. Most importantly, I thought I had orange marmalade....turns out I had apricot (it was in German and I didn't know any better). So I put in some of that, and added in a clementine plus it's peel to help up the orange flavor. I also didn't brown the chicken, which will make a difference, but being 31 weeks pregnant, it just wasn't a top priority for me today.

Here's the recipe I ended up actually making. I had to use the picture from The Chew's website, because we ate most of it! Ours didn't end up as caramelized, but it was still delicious!

Sweet Sour Chicken Clinton Kelly

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of chicken thighs
  • Salt
  • freshly cracked Black Pepper
  • About 6 oz Apricot Jam
  • 1 clementine (peel plus the juice - could have used more but that's all I had)
  • 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
  • 3 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
  • 3 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Red Chile Flakes
  • 1 inch Fresh Ginger (peeled and sliced into coins)
  • 2 carrots, in large chunks
  • 1/2 package of mushrooms, halved
  • 1-2 scallions (sliced on bias)
Directions:
  1. Place the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot, and add salt and pepper
  2. Mix together the jam, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, rice vinegar, chili flakes, ginger, and the clementine juice and peel
  3. Pour the mixture over the chicken
  4. Cook on low 2-3 hours or high 5-6 hours
  5. About 1/2 hour before the end of cooking, add in the mushrooms and carrots
  6. After it's cooked, serve over rice with the scallions
I also served it with Szechuan green beans with oil, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper, a bit of soy sauce, a bit of rice vinegar, and some salt.

What's your favorite slow cooker recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment