Monday, June 9, 2014

Recipe: Healthy, Homemade "Ice Cream"

While I was pregnant, I kept hearing about this new trend of banana "Ice Cream." I figured, I was hungry all the time, I was craving milkshakes, but I'm lactose intolerant. You see the dilemma!

So why not give it a shot....

Verdict: DELICIOUS!!!

Once I started making these I had one every morning for breakfast (or on my drive into work) and it would help keep me full, but be healthy and wholesome. And without using any ice cream, it tasted like peanut butter chocolate ice cream!

I saved some Talenti Gelato containers and now store the ice cream in the freezer. That way it looks like ice cream AND it's in individual containers already.

PS my favorite Talenti flavor so far is Sea Salt Caramel!

  Banana "Ice Cream"  

Ingredients:
  • Bananas, sliced and frozen
  • Peanut butter
  • Cocoa powder
  • Yogurt
  • Milk
  • Honey
  • Flax Seeds
Directions:
  1. Put the desired amount of all the ingredients in a shatterproof, flat bottomed container (I use a 4 cup measuring cup)
  2. Using an immersion blender, blend everything up.
  3. Either eat right away (kind of like a smoothie) or freeze for later (more like ice cream)
Variations:
  1. I've heard you could use fruit to make it more like a fruity ice cream (strawberries for example) but I love the peanut butter and chocolate combo!
  2. If you want to make it more filling, you can also add in some instant oatmeal (maybe a tablespoon or so per serving).
I've linked up with a few other posts so you can get some more insight:
Try it out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment