Sunday, June 8, 2014

Recipe Reinvention: "Leftover" Pasta, Carbonara Style

This past week we had some leftovers, and when I say some, I mean VERY LITTLE, but I was determined to make lunch for my husband and me out of it on Friday. I realized we had eggs, grated cheese, and bacon grease, and I could make a carbonara-like meal!

Here's what we had:

Leftover Ingredients:
  • 1 chicken thigh, cooked and diced
  • about 10 cubes of roasted potatoes
  • 1 serving of rotini pasta, cooked
New Ingredients:
  • Olive oil
  • 1 Tbs Bacon grease (technically I guess it's a leftover....)
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 carrot, cut up (I julienned it)
  • 1 rib of celery, diced
  • 1/2 cup wine
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • A bit of parsley, chopped
  • A few leaves of basil, chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • Grated cheese to taste
Directions:
  1. In a saute pan, heat up the olive oil and bacon grease. Add onions, carrots and celery and a bit of salt. Once softened a bit, add the garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes to cook the garlic without burning.
  2. Add in the wine and let it sizzle. Once the wine is warm, push the veggies to one side and whisk the egg into the liquid. Pour slowly. Whisk quickly!
  3. Add in the pasta, chicken and potato cubes and stir till warmed through. Throw in the basil and parsley.
  4. Take off the stove and add the cheese.
Voila!!! "Leftover" Pasta Carbonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment