Thursday, April 2, 2015

I Couldn't Live Without...Color Guard (weekly line-up)

Those who know me, know that I don't just dance, or teach dance, I actually coach a nationally competitive winter guard called Stonewall Independent. I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't get to coach guard!!! I'm hooking up with a friend at Pursuit of Pink for this post.




Stonewall Independent, or SI as we like to abbreviate it, is based out of Manassas, VA. I started working with Stonewall Jackson HS winter guard in 2011 (flower show) and 2012 (eclipse) where we competed locally in a Scholastic A class. Then in 2013 we went into the Independent A class with our show "Saying Goodbye," and went to Winter Guard International (WGI) world championships for the first time with this team. They won the silver medal out of all units competing in their class!!! In 2014 they were promoted into Independent Open class and we made finals with our show about a journey. This year we're heading to Dayton for WGI championships in a few weeks and were positioned to do well again with our show "Harmony in Disarray."

About a week ago I prompted SI to start an #ispinbecause challenge on social media to share why they each spin, and then nominate others to take the challenge. I've been so excited by the trend we've started!! It's great to hear why everyone chooses to perform in this crazy guard activity, and we've heard some inspiring stories as well.

Personally, #ispinbecause it gives me life and breath. I LIVE for the moments when I get to perform even if that is just when I'm demonstrating some choreography.

While I have loved hearing all of the reasons people spin, here's the one that's my absolute favorite so far!


1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful story!!!! I loved reading your #Ispinbecause post on FB and now need to go search that hashtag so I can read everyone else's. I miss winterguard, it's been 12 years since I marched!!!!

    ReplyDelete