Friday, January 3, 2014

Prepping for Baby's Arrival: A Network of Support

We have had incredibly generous friends and family who have all given us hand-me-downs for Baby Chickpea! It got me thinking about how something about motherhood creates a network of support that doesn't exist in other ways.

It started when I became pregnant. I had family, friends and even one acquaintance from a certification course, who had recently had babies and wanted to lend or give me maternity clothes! I was shocked that so many people recognize that maternity clothes are only used for a short period of time, and some things you don't use the same season of maternity clothes. My sister-in-law let me borrow a few sweaters and a pair of jeans. A friend and coworker gave me two business casual dresses, a fancy dress that I used for the holiday parties I had to attend, a maternity coat, and a few other odds and ends. The biggest shock, however, was that a classmate from a certification course, as soon as I told her I was pregnant, she got excited and then said "I have tubs of maternity clothes I want to get rid of!" I barely new her, and here she was giving me two large tubs of clothes! Granted, not everything fit well, but those two tubs meant I only bought a couple shirts, a pair of dress black pants, and a couple pairs of casual pants.

Then came time for baby gear and clothes!

I had so many people shower us with love and gifts and got some great clothes from those baby showers, as well as various gear like a Fisher Price Rock 'n Play, a Diaper Genie, an Ergo carrier, and a Crib. And while I probably had more baby showers than most folks (you have no idea how appreciative I am of that fact!), there is now way that is enough for a baby. I did make a run to a Goodwill and found some practically new (and some ACTUALLY new) baby clothes - 20 pieces for about $20.

But it was the hand-me-downs are a godsend! My sister-in-law lent me BAGS of baby girl clothes from 0-12 months, along with some crib sheets and towels. A high school classmate saw we were having a baby on Facebook and mentioned she had a bassinet she was looking to get rid of, and when we arrived to get it she also had a few clothes and a bouncy seat to give us! My husband's brother had a whole mess of baby bottles (a set of glass and a set of plastic because his son only took the plastic version), and an impeccably clean Pack 'n Play. My brother and sister-in-law are loaning us another Pack 'n Play (so one can be at a grandparent's house). A friend had a baby in July and even though it was a different season, I got about 40 pieces of clothing that were mostly sleepers and body suits.

And with all these hand me downs came the realization that there are a lot of people out there willing to help each other out, but somehow it's having a baby that brings it out in people.

Perhaps we should think about helping each other out regardless of our children's ages, or whether someone is pregnant or not. Imagine if you had a sweater you didn't want anymore, or that didn't fit, and you asked your friends if they wanted it instead of just donating it?

I know donating it is a great cause to support, but maybe look around you to see if someone else could use the help too! Think of it as helping locally, just like we're supposed to "eat locally" these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment