Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Dance: An Intro to Me

As I look through all my old posts, and think about the various categories, I had to wonder to myself why I didn't yet blog a single post about my favorite topic....Dance! So to start things off, I'm going to give a bit of a background on me and how dancing IS living to me.

  How it All Began  

When I was 2 years old, I used to go with my mom to her "dance class" (it was really an exercise class, but I didn't know that). All I wanted for Christmas was a pair of ballet slippers, and that's what I got! Along with a black leotard and pink tights. I had to wait until I was 3 to start taking dance classes but I could not wait!

In my first recital, my parents still give me grief that I waved in the middle of my dance piece. Maybe it was because I loved performing and loved making people smile!

  My Love of Tap  

I took ballet at 3 different schools until age 9, then I switched over to tap and jazz, because I was beginning to get a bit bored (I don't think I really understood why we did so much barre work). I LOVED tap, and it was a particular favorite of my dad. It was always so happy and bubbly and I was pretty good at it too. Jazz was interesting because it was the 80s and early 90s. I'll let your imagination run with that one....

James School of Dance Ballet Recital 1997
  Falling Back in Love with Ballet  

In middle school, I began to watch the pointe class that would come in after my tap class, and halfway through the year I decided to approach the teacher and ask if I could re-start ballet. She gladly accepted me into the class (but not on pointe yet!) and I fell in love with ballet again. Plus my teacher would teach us modern combinations and a few years we did both a ballet routine and a modern one.




  Expanding into Color Guard in High School  

At the end of 8th grade, my dad told me about this thing called color guard. There was a winterguard friends and family performance that I attended, and I was hooked! They did a piece in honor of their late coach William Boyd, who had passed away from AIDS. I was so moved by the grace, and the storytelling, and the ability for me to get to dance in high school! At the time there was no dance team or dance classes, and our cheerleaders were primarily stunt based, not much dancing. While continuing weekly dance classes at a studio, I went on to dance and spin flag, rifle and sabre for four years with my high school. I was lucky to be a featured soloist starting my freshman year! In winter, we did a show about relationships, one with music by Seal, one with a Spanish flare and one to Riverdance music that almost landed us in finals at world championships (we came in 18th).

  Dancing in College  

I thought I loved dancing and performing, until I went to college and it hit me just how much I loved it, and how much more I needed to learn! I auditioned, and made, the Georgetown University Dance Company, and was trained by Miya Hisaka Silva, who was trained by Martha Graham and Alvin Ailey to name a couple. I learned more technique in ballet, and was really exposed to modern (primarily Horton style). I was able to choreograph two pieces in my time in college.

1999 Carolina Crown Opener

  Drum Corps  

In December of my Sophomore year, I auditioned for Carolina Crown Drum & Bugle Corps. My parents originally didn't want me to march, but once I was offered a spot they agreed. Drum Corps is the hardest thing I will probably ever do (imagine rehearsing for 8 hours in 100 degree weather and then getting dressed to perform in a stadium, only to get on a bus, drive 6-8 hours overnight, arrive at a high school and sleep on the gym floor from about 3am-7am). That first year I sprained my knee and ankle (same leg!), got a cough so bad I needed Tylenol with Codine, and ripped a muscle in my abs that took 4 months to stop spasming and heal. And yet...I went back a second year because I LOVED it.

  Performing After College  


St. Ann's 2002 Independent World Bronze Medalists
My first year after college (2001-2002), I moved up to Boston to teach math at a middle school, and I missed performing. I found out about auditions for St. Ann's world color guard and figured it was a chance to spin. After the Saturday, I decided since I didn't intend to march, and I was sore beyond belief, I would skip Sunday. Low and behold...Jimmy Mahoney called me Sunday morning and asked where I was and that they wanted to offer me a spot. I only marched flag because I wanted to have fun (rifle always stressed me out!), and the year was incredible.

The next year (2003), I was working at the Georgetown Program in Performing Arts, and we had Bobby McFerrin as a visiting professor for the semester (in truth, he visited 3 times). At the end of the semester we had a large gala performance where I got to perform my piece to Circlesong 6 with him singing LIVE! Definitely a highlight of my performing career.


2004 Capital Fourth Concert Color Guard
Finally, in 2004, I got an amazing opportunity to put together 16 color guard members from various backgrounds for the Capital Fourth Concert! Then, as we were blocking the number with the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, and the twirlers, and the gynmasts, they turned to me and said "okay now you go choreograph it." We had about 2 hours to choreograph, learn and clean an entire John Phillip Sousa march, and it came out amazing on PBS the following night!!





Teaching After College

I started teaching right after high school, but I didn't really start directing until a few years after college. I've taught at many schools and in many programs, but most notably I've taught Act 1 (WGI 2006 IA 7th Place, 2007 IO Semi Finalist, 2008, IO Semi Finalist), Stonewall Independent (WGI 2013 IA Silver Medalist, 2014 IO 14th Place), and Stonewall Independent 2 (WGI 2014 IA 20th Place).

Stonewall Independent 2013 WGI World IA Silver Medalists


Performing Highlights

1985-1986: McLean School of Ballet
1986-1997: James School of Dance (Ballet, Tap, Jazz, and Modern)
1993-1997: McLean High School Color Guard and Winter Guard
1997-2001: Georgetown University Dance Company (Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop, Modern)
1999-2000: Carolina Crown Drum & Bugle Corps
2002: St. Ann's World Guard
2003: Bobby McFerrin Gala at Georgetown University

Teaching/Choreography Highlights

1997-2005: McLean HS Color Guard and Winter Guard
2003-2013: Woodson HS Color Guard and Winter Guard
2006-2008: Act 1 Independent Winter Guard
2009-2010: Creation Independent Winter Guard
2011-2014: Stonewall HS and Stonewall Independent Winter Guards
2014: Broad Run HS Color Guard

No comments:

Post a Comment