Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Mom Posts: My Favorite Products

I noticed recently that I've been sharing some of my favorite products with my friends who have recently had kids or are expecting. I figure, if I'm sharing offline, why not online, too! These aren't in any particular order, and I do highlight some products at the bottom that I was not really a fan of.

My Top Picks

  First Years Breast Milk Storage   
http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Breastflow-Organizer/dp/B000K4YSVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401211791&sr=8-1&keywords=first+years+milk+storage
First Years Breast Milk Storage on Amazon

This product was purchased after a bit of research (though not much) and only a small grasp on the need to freeze and store milk. I have to say this is one of my favorite baby-related purchases to-date! It was quite the unexpected surprise. It's been perfect to freeze/store milk because it has a compression piece on one end that flattens the milk so you can store it more easily, and because it's frozen thinly, it also thaws quicker!

  Lansinoh Storage Bags  

Lansinoh Storage Bags on Amazon

While I did research these enough to know that they didn't work with my pump (Ameda Purely Yours) but that they were the right width for the First Years container, and got pretty good reviews, I didn't realize how much I loved them until I tried using the bags that DO go with my pump.

  Summer Infant Video Monitor          
Summer Infant Video Monitor on Babies 'R Us Website 
(Note that the product we bought is no longer listed at Babies 'r Us, but I believe this is the newer version)

My husband got to pick this product out because he loves electronics! Since we were getting a video monitor, I wanted one that would work with our iPhones for whenever we're away and she's with a babysitter, or if one of us is traveling and we just want to catch a peek at our daughter. I had to travel 2 weeks after going back to work and was able to use it from TX!! For us, this was worth the money. That said, we did get a registry completion discount, and it was on sale, so it made it even more affordable (still not truly "affordable" though).

  Baby Jogger City Mini GT   
Baby Jogger City Mini GT on Amazon

While this stroller is not small, it's one of the smaller jogging strollers I've seen. You can fold it with one hand (there's a pull handle in the middle of the seat to fold it) and it folds pretty flat. It has an adapter for our Peg Perego infant seat and it snaps in and also has a buckle that goes across to ensure it's safe. I use it with a stroller attachment that goes on the handle and also bought the toddler "tray" for later use!

  ErgoBaby Organic Baby Carrier and Infant Insert   
ErgoBaby Organic Baby Carrier on Amazon
Infant Insert on Amazon


This is one of the few carriers that can be used with a newborn and it was perfect! Keep in mind, I had the baby in the middle of the Mid Atlantic Polar Vortex, and I am pretty sure if you have a baby in August, not only will the baby get too hot in this, but so will you. Just something to keep in mind! Now that she's over 12 lbs, we took out the infant insert and this carrier is quite comfortable for mom. I can put it on by myself, as long as she isn't wiggling too much.

  Fisher Price Rock 'n Play   
Fisher Price Rock 'n Play on Amazon

 This rocker was a Godsend in the first couple weeks at home. We tried desperately to get her to sleep in her bassinet, which someone very graciously gave to us (hand-me-down). She hated being on her back even if we swaddled her tight! Those first couple nights I didn't know what to do and just held her so she could sleep. After 2 nights of holding her (and not really sleeping myself!) I tried the Rock 'n Play. Now, doctors advice is to only allow babies to sleep on their back, so do not take my recommendation without making a conscious decision yourself and checking with your own doctor, but it was the ONLY thing that she would sleep in! She slept in it at night and for all naps! Now, at 4 months, she uses it occasionally for a nap or two, but is in her own crib 95% of the time.

  JJ Cole Diaper Changing Clutch  

JJ Cole Diaper Changing Clutch on Amazon

Big diaper bags are great, but when you are sitting with a friend for coffee or lunch, and you need to go change the baby in a very small restroom (or you're lazy and don't want to carry a big bag with you), this clutch is very handy. It is fairly large, has a pocket for diapers and a place to insert a package of wipes. I also put a ziplock bag with a couple newspaper bags for dirty diapers. That way I just grab this and go, without having to fiddle with a big bag. So much easier! It's also great that it matches my diaper bag!

The Items I Wasn't As Thrilled About

  My Brest Friend  
My Brest Friend on Amazon

Some people love this thing and they even had them in the hospital where I delivered, so use your own judgment. For me, this pillow is too cumbersome because it has a piece that goes around the back. I couldn't use it at first because my belly was still too big (uterus hadn't contracted yet) and now I just don't like using it because of the strap around the back. I love that it's a bit more sturdy than the Boppy, but I choose the Bobby over this product (which is unfortunate because the My Brest Friend was a very thoughtful gift from someone!).

  Ameda Store 'n Pour Milk Storage Bags  
Ameda Store 'n Pour Milk Storage Bags on Amazon

They're hard to open and feel a bit flimsy in my mind. They're a bit too wide for the storage container I'm using (but I make it work!). I also decided against using them with my pump because I'm always afraid I'm going to spill the milk if I lean forward even slightly.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with almost everything - this is a great list! I absolutely LOVE the Ergo and Kendall still enjoys it too. I'm sorry the Breast Friend didn't work for you, but glad you found a pillow you do like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The My Brest Friend was interesting because so many people I know love it. I guess it just wasn't for me.

      Delete